The Museum of Sex is the world’s foremost institution and brand whose mission is to explore human sexuality as a central tenet of cultural discourse. We bring disruptive innovation to the cultural and commercial landscapes through exhibition, retail, food, digital, and other creative initiatives.
We are growing and committed to building an all-star company. Our team is ambitious and passionate; the environment is creative, intense, entrepreneurial and fun.
The Museum of Sex seeks a creative Director of Communication who has the ability and passion to lead and strategically innovate traditional institutional communications.
As the Director of Communication you will build a team and lead all of the museum’s internal, marketing, and public communication:
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance MoSex’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its divisions (exhibition, bar, retail, event, product), programs and priorities; and increase the visibility across key stakeholder audiences
- Create both marketing and public relations strategy that will allow MoSex to cultivate both popular and targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them
- Oversee development of all MoSex print communications including marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including MoSex’s website and new media; manage relationships with associated vendors
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding MoSex programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and staff development
- Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments
- Work with other division leaders to craft new communication opportunities
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized
- A minimum of five years experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications interns and specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Passion for MoSex’s mission, a hands-on leader who enjoys working in a creative, entrepreneurial environment.
Compensation based on experience, includes salary and the potential for a performance bonus.
Please submit your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.